“All of you will be great warriors.” – Aslaug.
Is that the Queen’s foresight or just motherly intuition? Guess we’ll soon find out.
The first half of Vikings season four started a new chapter for the History Channel series, one which expands beyond the myth of Ragnar Lothbrok to the tales of his sons – all six of them (even Magnus).
From Bjorn’s face off with a bear, to Ubbe watching his father murder his mistress/drug pusher, joining the second raid in Paris and discussions of the Mediterranean, all signs lead to Ragnar’s ‘young charismatic sons’ coming into their own and eventually leading the series into the future, just as creator Michael Hirst always intended.
While viewers received a taste of the ‘the new gang of Kattegat’ (as they like to refer to themselves on Instagram) in adult-form during the final moments of the mid-season finale, the first 10 episodes focus on giving the younger versions of the future legends more presence in the series.
Beyond establishing that there’s no going back and the show is only moving forward, the first half of Vikings season four continues to deliver on character development, an intriguing story line and memorable battle scenes.
There’s all new levels of family drama with Rollo once again proving he’s the worst brother in history (seriously) as he sides with the Parisians, while Aslaug sets her sights on Ragnar’s crown.
On the battlefield, the stakes are as high as they were in season two with family once again fighting against family. But of course, a show like Vikings doesn’t need warfare for a little blood shed or torture, as proven by Lagertha who continues to promote gender equality through the unforgettable use of a knife and Ragnar’s reluctant, yet beyond cruel punishment for Floki.
Couldn’t look away…
- When Einar was castrated… in public
- Noticing the toll leadership (and drug addiction) has taken on Ragnar’s appearance – kudos to the makeup and wardrobe departments, his physical transformation each season is incredible
- Floki’s cave scenes, and when learning his daughter’s fate
- Watching Lagertha fight while pregnant
- And watching Rollo direct his French men to fire arrows towards her group
- Seeing Viking’s engineering skills (and strength) in action when towing their entire fleet over a hill
- Every Duke Rollo scene
- That battle between brothers… I think Rollo could have taken out Ragnar
- And Alfred’s holy crowning in Rome… that was odd right?
Vikings Season 4, Part 1 is out now on Blu-ray and DVD.