They’ve been there with us through the good times and the bad times, they’ve made us laugh and cry, and sometimes they even reflected our real life relationships.
Hollywood has a knack for creating some of the most entertaining yet heart warming friendships on both small and big screen.
The thing we love most about these relationships is that they not only remind us of our own real life friendships, but that they bring wildly different personalities together to compliment each other and in some cases, save the world.
So, from the adorably loyal connection between Hans Solo and Chewbacca in Star Wars to the tense union of Professor X and Magneto in the X-Men franchise and the hilarious antics of Groot and Rocket in Guardians of the Galaxy, here is our list of top fantasy, comic and sci-fi BFFs that truly are #friendshipgoals.
Happy International Friendship Day!
1. Star Trek’s Spock and Kirk will forever be in our hearts (both the original and modern versions)
2. As will Star Wars‘ Hans Solo and Chewbacca
3. Harry Potter wooed us with the Harry, Hermione and Ron trio
4. And strangely the movies even had us admiring the devotion between Voldemort and Bellatrix
5. We promise we’re not evil, but we also loved Pam and Eric’s wicked (and honest) antics on True Blood
6. And could never decide which of the Sanderson Sisters was our favourite from Hocus Pocus
7. While always dreamed of a cheeky imaginary best friend like Lizzie’s Fred from Drop Dead Fred
8. On a slightly sadder note, Groot and Rocket had us in tears in Guardians of the Galaxy
9. And we always need a box of tissues around when Elliott farewells his extraterrestrial friend in E.T.
10. Frodo and Sam had us wanting to take an epic journey after the The Lord of the Rings movies
11. And drag our hilarious besties Merry and Pippin along with us
12. We loved the relationship the Doctor had with all his companions on Doctor Who
13. The Falcon and Winter Soldier were soooo BFFs in Captain America: Civil War, they just didn’t realise it yet
14. And neither did Tyrion and Varys in Game of Thrones
15. All of SG1 was #friendshipgoals for all 10 seasons (even when Daniel died and Jack got promoted)
16. While that bond between Prue, Piper and Phoebe (and then Paige) had us pretending to be Charmed with real life family members
17. In primary school, scissors, paper and rock helped decide who would be ‘Pink Ranger’ while playing Power Rangers
18. And we always argued over who got to be Wheeler (aka Fire) from Captain Planet
19. Our desire to fight ghosts like the Ghostbusters only grew with the release of the all-female movie
20. And in a post-apocalyptic world we hope to be the Carol and Daryl from The Walking Dead in our group of survivors
21. Opposites always attract, which is why Sherlock and Watson are the ultimate friendship goal in Sherlock
22. As are Merlin and Arthur in Merlin
23. Foggy and Matt in Daredevil
24. And Professor X and Magneto in the X-Men franchise
25. But similarities make personalities like Harry and Cisco a delight to watch on The Flash
26. Of course, we love the canine relationship between the Starks and their direwolves in Game of Thrones
27. And admire the mutual respect between Jamie and Brienne of Tarth
28. But would settle for a laid back and completely open (borderline inappropriate) relationship Wade has with Blind Al in Deadpool
29. Or be part of a genius, criminal and hilarious group like Luis, Dave and Kurt in Ant-Man